Monday, October 12, 2020

196 Books: Finland


 Troll: A Love Story by Johanna Sinisalo


Finland is way up here:



Here's the summary:
Angel, a young photographer, comes home from a night of carousing to find a group of drunken teenagers in the courtyard of his apartment building, taunting a wounded, helpless young troll. He takes it in, not suspecting the dramatic consequences of this decision. What does one do with a troll in the city? As the troll’s presence influences Angel’s life in ways he could never have predicted, it becomes clear that the creature is the familiar of man’s most forbidden feelings. A novel of sparkling originality, Troll is a wry, beguiling story of nature and man’s relationship to wild things, and of the dark power of the wildness in ourselves.

A couple of weekends ago we were Soldier's family, and I was debating with the guys about trophy hunting. It was pretty much 3 on 1: they're all hunters and would do some trophy hunting if they could; I argued that it's bad for a number of reasons. One of these reasons was that we're just decimating these species for our own vanity. I broadened my argument to how we increase the size of our cities, cut down the forests, push animals out of their natural homes, and then kill them for being a nuisance or bothering our suburban existence. That bothers me. Now to the book! This book spoke to our urban sprawl a little bit. 

So Angel finds this troll. And in the book, trolls are just wild animals in northern Europe and Russia (maybe in North America too, I don't really remember it speaking to that area much). The troll is obviously hurt or sick and Angel takes it in, then ends up falling in "love" with it. Listen, I understand. I'm pretty obsessed with my cat. But here's the thing: a wild animal is still a wild animal. I'll see articles or Instagram posts about these wild animals that someone has raised and now thinks they're domesticated. But I feel like most people are just kind of waiting for it to go very, very wrong. 
SPOILER. 
The troll situation goes very, very wrong. He injures one guy and kills another. So Angel decides to flee with the troll (who he's named Pessi). 
BIG SPOILERS
It turns out the trolls have learned and evolved a bit; they can use human "tools" and seem to want to take over. So Angel and Pessi find some bigger trolls and they kind of take Angel hostage. And that's it. Which, I usually have a hard time with an ending that leaves a lot to the imagination, but this one didn't really bother me. 

One thing that was really cool was the story was interspersed with news articles, book passages, poems, and the like. Information and stories about trolls as if they're bears or moose. It was the "research" that Angel did to learn how to take care of Pessi. 
This was such a cool book. I loved the folklore turned into a modern story. It would make me want to go to Finland, except it's cold there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment